Sunday, February 25, 2018

From my friend Keri:

I had a long conversation with my mom today on the phone. I really love my mom, and we are super close, so it was a good conversation. She asked me why I hadn't posted anything about the recent school shooting in the state where I went to high school..and I just told her that I thought that the conversation just had all of these layers around it that made it hard for me to address any single issue.

I wanted to post about Philando Castile, who was a teacher with an open carry permit who was shot by police, and who never had any of these gun supporters who are so vocal now lend their support to him.

And I also wanted to post about how I've seen black parents post that if white teachers are armed they they will pull their black children out of school out of fear for their lives.

And I also wanted to post all the really sincere pictures of teachers asking to be armed with funding for public education and for smaller class sizes and materials.

So I think I'll finally repost this instead.

"The police in America (and their apologists) have demanded respect, support, no questions asked, unconditional submission, more money, and military grade hardware. They have asked for all this but when the time finally came for FOUR (4) Broward County police officers to intervene during the Parkland school shooting and stop more innocent teenagers from being killed.... they waited outside."

Think about all that.

No comments: