Friday, January 7, 2011

Savage Skulls


Just returned from a visit to NYC last week. If you ditch the posh coffee shops and strollers in Williamsburg and Park Slope, there's still plenty of gritty charm to be found. But I can't help wishing I had experienced it during the bad old days when urban decay thrived and subcultures ran amuck. I know this is a romanticized view, especially since I wasn't there, but I really don't care. The first world may be civilized these days, but it's also incredibly dull.

Here's a trailer for a new documentary about street gangs in the South Bronx during the heyday of graffiti, street crime, and other nasty stuff. A time when 5 year olds drank 40s and gangs un-ironically named themselves the Golden Guineas. This is the world the Warriors tried to capture, though it seems like a pretty weak imitation when you start adding things up (the toughest gang of them all is from Coney Island???)



No comments: